February 16, 2021
DUE TO THE EXTREME WEATHER, ENERGY COMPANIES ACROSS THE NATION HAVE BEEN OVERLOADED AND ROLLING BLACKOUTS HAVE COMMENCED.
Energy interruptions not only affect heating, cooking, and cleaning, it also affects businesses great and small and their abilities to serve their communities.
These interruptions also cause delays in websites getting updated, as it causes interruptions in web service everywhere.
- Wear extra layers of clothing
- Keep your heaters at a lower temp (It is recommended to keep heaters at 68 degrees)
- Unplug appliances you don’t normally use or don’t need at this time
- Make sure space heaters have plenty of space and are plugged into a wall socket, not in use by any other appliance.
- If your space heater has the ability to toggle, set it on the economy setting, if it doesn’t toggle off and on, make sure to manually adjust it to prevent it from burning out
- DO NOT USE A POWER STRIP OR EXTENSION CORD WITH YOUR SPACE HEATER
- Make sure your space heater is plugged into a wall socket by itself, no other electrical item plugged into the same socket.
- Insulate doors and windows if possible
- If you have more than one entrance to your home, designate one entry/exit for use, other than emergencies, to lower heating strain.
- If you’re set up with a carbon monoxide sensor, monitor it closely
- If you have a small radio, make sure the batteries are good and, if possible, obtain some new ones
- Conserve your propane and/or wood supply for backup heat
- Conserve your food, water, and household/personal necessities
- If you use a generator, make sure your cords are all in good condition, you have ample fuel supply, and the generator is at a safe distance from your house.
- If you have a grill, use it to heat water if necessary/possible (Do not use it inside the house!)
- Keep your water at a trickle (hot and cold)
- Insulate your plumbing if possible
- Keep your cabinet doors open so the interior pipes will be exposed to the house’s internal heat/warmth
- Make sure your vehicles have the proper mix of antifreeze, oil, and tire pressure
- Check on the elderly and small children if/when possible
- Help the helpless
- Don’t give up
- Don’t forget, we are all in this together